ABC Eyes has provided an educational book “A Patient & Parent Guide to Strabismus Surgery” for children and adults, authored by Dr. George Beauchamp. The eye doctors at ABC Eyes are physicians who specialize in pediatric ophthalmology and the medical and surgical treatment of strabismus or misaligned eyes.
A Patient & Parent Guide to Strabismus Surgery
by George R. Beauchamp, M.D.
Download the entire PDF (350 KB): A Patient & Parent Guide to Strabismus Surgery
Part I: Background Information
1. Basic Anatomy and Functions of the Extra-ocular (Eye) Muscles
2. What is Strabismus?
3. What Causes Strabismus?
4. What are the Signs and Symptoms of Strabismus?
5. Why is Strabismus Surgery Performed?
Part II: Making a Decision
6. What are the Options in Strabismus Treatment?
7. The Preoperative Consultation
8. Choosing Your Surgeon
9. Risks, Benefits, Limitations and Alternatives to Surgery
10. How is Strabismus Surgery Performed?
11. Timing of Surgery
Part III: What to Expect Around the Time of Surgery
Part IV: Additional Matters to Consider
Part V: A Parent’s Perspective on Strabismus Surgery
20. My Son’s Diagnosis and Treatment
21. Growing Up with Strabismus
22. Increasing Signs that Surgery Was Needed
23. Making the Decision to Proceed with Surgery
24. Explaining Eye Surgery to My Son
25. After My Son’s Strabismus Surgery
If you would like to arrange a pediatric or adult eye consultation with an ophthalmologist at ABC Eyes, please submit an online appointment request or call one of our offices: